Voluntary Evacuation Shelters are normally the first to open. They remain open if a Mandatory Evacuation occurs and the additional Mandatory Evacuation shelters open.
Note: All of these shelters may not open. Shelters can be opened or closed on an as-needed basis. Always monitor your local broadcast media for information on which shelters are open.
Do not go to a shelter unless advised it is open!
|Woodland High School||M||4128 US Hwy. 78 (map)||Closed|
|Harleyville-Ridgeville Elementary School||V||1650 E. Main St. (map)||Closed|
|Summerville Elementary School||M||835 So. Main St. (map)||Closed|
|Beech Hill Elementary School||M||1001 Beech Hill Rd. (map)||Closed|
|Fort Dorchester High School||V||8500 Patriot Blvd. (map)||Closed|
|Summerville High School||V||1101 Boone Hill Rd. (map)||Closed|
|Special Needs Shelter: Summerville Senior Center||V||312 N. Laurel St. (map)||Closed|
If you've decided to not stay in your home, or you live in a Mobile or Manufactured Home, and cannot go to a friend or family member's residence then an American Red Cross Hurricane Shelter is available for you. Please know that Public Shelters provide very few comforts and are intended to provide a relatively safe shelter for those who have no other options.
What To Bring To A Shelter
* Blankets or sleeping bag, pillows, air mattresses or cot/s if you have one
* Any special dietary needs. Non-perishable packed or canned food including high energy snack items.
* One gallon of water per person per day in clean plastic containers. Do not bring glass containers.
* Any required medicines, especially prescription drugs. The style & serial number of special medical devices such as pace makers.
* Personal hygiene and sanitary items (toothbrush and toothpaste, soap, towels, etc.)
* A change of clothing, rain gear and sturdy shoes
* Special items for infants (formula, diapers, etc.), elderly or disabled family members
* An extra set of car keys
* Credit cards and cash (not for use at the shelter, you'll need these when you return home)
* Important family and household papers (Birth & Marriage certificates, Insurance policies, etc.)
* Flashlights, Battery Powered Radio or TV with extra batteries
* Books, games, coloring books for children