From the City of Charleston
Mayor Joseph P. Riley, Jr. announced today the names of four candidates for the position of Fire Chief of the City of Charleston.
The four candidates, narrowed down from 61 applicants for the position, will visit the city as part of the selection process. Part of their visit will include an orientation and a tour of the city and its neighborhoods. They will also have an opportunity to meet with members of the Fire Department and tour some of the stations.
Monday, April 30, will begin the orientation and interview process for these candidates.
Mayor Riley said, "We will have before us a group of very talented and qualified candidates for the vitally important role of Fire Chief. I look forward to the interview process and to enable the candidates to get acquainted with our outstanding community. I take this process very seriously, as the selection of a fire chief is probably one of the most important duties of a Mayor. I know my decision will be a difficult one. "
The candidates for Fire Chief of the City Charleston are:
Paul J. Berardi:
· Deputy Fire Chief, Kansas City (MO)
· 26 years of experience in the fire service including 12 years as Deputy Chief
· Associate Degree, Metropolitan Community College
· Bachelor, Business Administration, Baker University
· MPA, University of Missouri
· Fire Service Fellow, Harvard University's State and Local Executive Program
Karen E. Brack:
· Deputy Chief, Operations, Eugene Fire Department, OR, 2007 –Present
· 29 years of experience in the fire service including last 4+ years as Deputy Chief
· Battalion Chief, Fulton County Fire and Rescue, GA 1982 – 2007
· A.A.S., Paramedic and Fire Science
· BS, Biology/Psychology; Masters level coursework in Exercise Physiology
· Executive Fire Officer Program, National Fire Academy
· Deputy Chief, Mobile Fire-Rescue (AL)
· 33 years of experience in fire service including the last 6 years as Deputy Chief
· Chief Officer for 18 years
· Commander-USCG Reserve
· B.P.S. – Memphis State University
· B. A., University of South Alabama
Edwin W. Smith
· Fire Chief, County of Henrico (VA)
· 35 years of experience in the fire service
· Chief for the past 4+ years
· B.A.S. Human Resources Management, University of Richmond
· A.A.S Fire Science Technology, J.S. Reynolds Community College
· Fire Officer