SC boy dies from rare brain infection - WCIV-TV | ABC News 4 - Charleston News, Sports, Weather

SC boy dies from rare brain infection

Posted: Updated:

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) - Health officials say a Sumter County boy has died from a rare brain infection caused by an organism that lives in warm, fresh water.

The Department of Health and Environmental Control said Wednesday the boy was killed by an amoeba known as Naegleria fowleri (neh-GLARE-ee-ah FOW-luhr-eye). The organism lives in lakes, rivers and hot springs.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says that there were only 32 documented cases of this kind of infection between 2001 and 2010. DHEC did not release the boy's name.

An agency epidemiologist says the amoeba typically enters the body through water forced up someone's nose. Officials say the infection cannot be caused by drinking.

DHEC advises people not to swim in fresh water when water levels are low.

Powered by WorldNow

ABCNews4 WCIV-TV

888 Allbritton Dr.
Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464
843-881-4444 | Advertising Information

Public Information File

For assistance with accessing WCIV-TV's public information file, click here.

Advertising

Advertising Credit Application and Terms and Conditions PDF.

Powered by WorldNow
All content Copyright © 2014 WCIV and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.