NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) - South Carolina
environmental officials have stopped some demolition work that is part
of the effort to redevelop the old Charleston Naval Base in North
The Post and Courier of Charleston reported that workers had been removing steam pipes when they discovered they were wrapped in asbestos.
Department of Health and
Environmental Control spokesman Jim Beasley says officials visited the
site last week after getting an anonymous complaint. Beasley says later
tests by two laboratories confirmed the material was asbestos.
Asbestos is a naturally occurring mineral once used for insulation. That was stopped because it can cause cancer.
Beasley says the work did not appear to pose a public health threat.
Beasley says the company doing the work needs to get a contractor qualified to handle asbestos.
Evangelist Franklin Graham prayed on a sidewalk outside the Pentagon Thursday after his invitation to a prayer service inside was withdrawn because of comments that insulted people of other religions. More>>