Man's family sues police over fatal shooting - WCIV-TV | ABC News 4 - Charleston News, Sports, Weather

Man's family sues police over fatal shooting

Posted: Updated:

EUTAWVILLE, S.C. (AP) -- Relatives of a Eutawville man shot and killed by a police officer last year have sued the town, its police department and former chief.

Attorney Carl B. Grant says he filed a wrongful death lawsuit this week on behalf of the widow of Bernard Bailey.

State police began investigating in May 2011 after the 54-year-old Bailey died from gunshot wounds. Eutawville has a one-person police department, and town officials said Chief Robert Combs was placed on leave after the shooting outside its Town Hall.

Mayor Jean Akers said she was served with the lawsuit Monday but did not immediately comment on it.

Federal authorities are now investigating the shooting, and few details have been released. Combs has not been charged in the shooting but has been replaced as chief.

Powered by WorldNow

ABCNews4 WCIV-TV

888 Allbritton Dr.
Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464
843-881-4444 | Advertising Information

Public Information File

For assistance with accessing WCIV-TV's public information file, click here.

Advertising

Advertising Credit Application and Terms and Conditions PDF.

Powered by WorldNow
All content Copyright © 2014 WCIV and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.