Lowcountry Komen Race for the Cure expected to be biggest ever - WCIV-TV | ABC News 4 - Charleston News, Sports, Weather

Lowcountry Komen Race for the Cure expected to be biggest ever

Posted: Updated:
Race Pick Up Day (Scott Garrand/WCIV) Race Pick Up Day (Scott Garrand/WCIV)

CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCIV) — October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and The Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure on Daniel Island Saturday is expected to be one of the biggest ever, according to race organizers. 

Hundreds of registered racers showed up to the Family Circle Tennis Center Friday to pick up their packets, t-shirts, and information for race day.

More than 10,000 people helped "paint the town pink" last year, and organizers hope for an even bigger turnout for 2012. 

"We are hoping to raise a million dollars this year. 75 percent of that money stays right here in the Lowcountry," Race for the Cure co-chair Jo Beth Edwards said.

75 percent of every dollar raised at this year's event will go directly to breast cancer education, screening, and research programs right here in the Charleston area.  The other 25 percent goes to national research initiatives. 

According to the Lowcountry Komen web site, 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in their lifetime. 

The theme this year is "Less Talk, More Action," and is meant to urge folks to get out there and take the initiative to get involved in the Race for the Cure and other breast cancer awareness initiatives.  

Packet pickup for participants begins at 7 A.M Saturday at the individual pickup tent. 

The 5K run begins at 9:15 A.M.

Free shuttles will be running to and from the Island to help alleviate traffic and parking problems. One shuttle will run to and from North Charleston. It will pick up in front of the Old Navy at the Tanger Outlets.  The other will pick up in front of the Gap store in the Towne Centre in Mount Pleasant.

Those shuttles start running at 6:15 A.M. and the last shuttle will leave Daniel Island at 11:45 A.M.

Powered by WorldNow

ABCNews4 WCIV-TV

888 Allbritton Dr.
Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464
843-881-4444 | Advertising Information

Public Information File

For assistance with accessing WCIV-TV's public information file, click here.

Advertising

Advertising Credit Application and Terms and Conditions PDF.

Powered by WorldNow
All content Copyright © 2014 WCIV and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.