The icy conditions Green Country experienced Saturday Evening, led to several accidents and road closures throughout the area.
Around 8:30pm, Tulsa Police closed the flyover ramp from the Westbound Broken Arrow Expressway to Westbound I-244 after several vehicles collided on the ice covered roadway. The ramp was closed for about an hour while crews worked to clear the vehicles and attempt to de-ice the ramp. No word on injuries.
In Ottawa County, the Westbound Lanes of the Will Rogers Turnpike were closed at the Missouri State Line after a multi vehicle collision on the Spring River Bridge. Drivers are asked to use US 166 & US 69 as alternate routes.
Officers say to take it slow if you have to drive tonight, especially on bridges and overpasses that freeze first.
The Oklahoma Department of Transportation offers the following safety tips:
· Check road conditions before getting out on the roads.
· Stay at least 200 feet behind road-clearing equipment; crews need room to maneuver and can engage plowing or spreading materials without notice.
· Allow extra space between vehicles, so there is adequate distance for braking in wet and icy conditions.
· Be aware of "black ice," which looks wet on the roadway, but is actually a thin layer of ice.
· Please be patient, plan trips ahead and allow extra time to reach destinations.
You can check current road conditions by dialing the Department of Public Safety's Road Conditions Hotline at: 1-888-425-2385.
If your travel plans take you out-of-state you can check road conditions in surrounding states by dialing the following numbers:
New Mexico 800-432-4269
Don't forget you can also check the latest weather conditions by clicking on the weather tab at the top of this page. Stay with Tulsa's Channel 8 and KTUL.com for the latest information.