CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCIV) -- Former South Carolina governor Mark Sanford confirmed Tuesday that he would be stepping into the political ring again.
Sanford said a formal announcement would come on Wednesday in a series of press conferences.
Rumors have circled for weeks that Sanford was considering a run and the former governor already has a sizable campaign war chest that makes him an instant front-runner for Tim Scott's seat.
Sanford's ex-wife, Jenny Sanford, said Monday she would not be starting a campaign of her own, opting instead to stay home and care for her children.
Sanford's confirmation makes expands the list of candidates for the First District seat to six. So far, state Rep. Chip Limehouse, state Sen. Larry Grooms, son of media mogul Ted Turner, Teddy Turner, former Charleston County councilman Curtis Bostic and former Dorchester County Sheriff Ray Nash have all announced their intent to run for the office.