Fire at Sanctuary Hotel blamed on cleaning towels - WCIV-TV | ABC News 4 - Charleston News, Sports, Weather

Fire at Sanctuary Hotel blamed on cleaning towels

Posted: Updated:

KIAWAY ISLAND, S.C. (WCIV) -- A fire at the Sanctuary Hotel on Kiawah Island on Tuesday morning was likely caused by improperly stored cleaning towel, fire investigators said.

According to the St. John Fire and Rescue, crews from three different departments were dispatched to the hotel around 11:30 a.m. to reports of a fire. When they arrived, staff members said they had put out the fire with a fire extinguisher.

According to fire officials, the fire had been contained to a small plastic container and the sprinklers were not triggered because staff members were able to put the fire out quickly.

Investigators said the cleaning rags spontaneously ignited. The towels were in a locked room maintained by the company contracted to clean the hotel. Officials said items that could spontaneously combust, like oily rags, should be stored in an approved container and removed daily.

No one was injured, officials said.

 

Powered by WorldNow

ABCNews4 WCIV-TV

888 Allbritton Dr.
Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464
843-881-4444 | Advertising Information

Public Information File

For assistance with accessing WCIV-TV's public information file, click here.

Advertising

Advertising Credit Application and Terms and Conditions PDF.

Powered by WorldNow
All content Copyright © 2014 WCIV and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.