Union attempt to storm Fort Sumter observed - WCIV-TV | ABC News 4 - Charleston News, Sports, Weather

Union attempt to storm Fort Sumter observed

Posted: Updated:

By BRUCE SMITH
Associated Press Writer

CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) - Monday marks the 150th anniversary of the only Union attempt to storm the South Carolina fort where the Civil War began. But the Sept. 9, 1863, attack on Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor was a dismal failure.

The nighttime fight was doomed by rivalries between the Union commanders, a lack of planning and the fact that the Confederates, with the help of a captured Union code book, knew exactly what was coming.

The federals suffered 120 casualties, most of them captured. The Confederates didn't lose a man.

The historian at the Fort Sumter National Monument says the attack was national news at the time. Now, Rick Hatcher says, it's been lost amid other events, including the major Union victory at Gettysburg earlier in the summer of 1863.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Most Popular

Stories
Videos

Like Us On Facebook


Powered by WorldNow

ABCNews4 WCIV-TV

888 Allbritton Dr.
Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464
843-881-4444 | Advertising Information

Public Information File

For assistance with accessing WCIV-TV's public information file, click here.

Advertising

Advertising Credit Application and Terms and Conditions PDF.

Powered by WorldNow
All content Copyright © 2014 WCIV and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.