Home with mattresses in yard destroyed by fire - WCIV-TV | ABC News 4 - Charleston News, Sports, Weather

ADVERTISEMENT
Bookmark and Share

Home with mattresses in yard destroyed by fire

Posted: Updated:
  • Related LinksMore>>

  • Messy property owner: 'Just leave me alone'

    Messy property owner: 'Just leave me alone'

    Tuesday, September 17 2013 6:31 PM EDT2013-09-17 22:31:40 GMT
    The front yard of Edward Martin was filled Monday afternoon with used mattresses, old furniture and broken electronics. On Tuesday, there was a man rummaging through the back yard.More >>
    The front yard of Edward Martin was filled Monday afternoon with used mattresses, old furniture and broken electronics. Tuesday was much of the same except there was a truck filled with mattresses and a man rummaging through the back yard.More >>
  • Neighbor: 'You see flying roaches and bugs'

    Neighbor: 'You see flying roaches and bugs'

    Monday, September 16 2013 7:04 PM EDT2013-09-16 23:04:48 GMT
    It's typical for parents to gather on Hillridge Road in Cainhoy to meet their kids at the bus stop, but it's what their children are forced to look at and smell that has them in an uproar.
    More >>
    It's typical for parents to gather on Hillridge Road in Cainhoy to meet their kids at the bus stop, but it's what their children are forced to look at and smell that has them in an uproar.
    More >>

By Ava Wilhite
awilhite@abcnews4.com

Charleston, S.C. (WCIV) -- The trailer of an apparent hoarder who was piling smelly mattresses in the front and back yards of his Cainhoy property caught fire overnight.

"The whole section the whole trailer, everything - all that was up in flames. The flame was high really high," said Mary Mizzell, a neighbor.

She said she heard a large bang and when she walked outside, she was greeted with the familiar smell of the old mattresses, but now, they were on fire.

"Whew, God it just stunk. I had a bad headache from it. The fumes- you could just smell the odors of the mattresses and stuff," said Mizzell.

According to Cainhoy Assistant Fire Chief Steve Goodwin, first responders were called out Saturday just after midnight. He said the house and yard were fully engulfed.

Goodwin said they don't know if the fire started in the yard or in the house. But no one was inside at the time. He said they expected to make two trips to the house because of all the junk.

"He's supposed to be cleaning it up and this is what happens," said Mizzell.

According to the Berkeley County Code and Building Department, the trailer is owned by Edward Martin. Martin is already facing thousands of dollars in fines for the mattresses, but all that remains from the piles are burnt mattress coils.

Neighbors said they're glad the junk is gone.

"It's ugly. It's a closure hopefully, a final chapter that's closed in this, because it's been over a year," said Amy, another neighbor. 

Goodwin said the trailer is destroyed and the fire is under investigation.


  • Ava Wilhite

    Email: awilhite@abcnews4.com Reporter Profile




Powered by WorldNow

ABCNews4 WCIV-TV

888 Allbritton Dr.
Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464
843-881-4444 | Advertising Information

Public Information File

For assistance with accessing WCIV-TV's public information file, click here.

Advertising

Advertising Credit Application and Terms and Conditions PDF.

Powered by WorldNow
All content Copyright © 2014 WCIV and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.