Messy mattress house: Smell getting worse, no cause in fire - WCIV-TV | ABC News 4 - Charleston News, Sports, Weather

ADVERTISEMENT
Bookmark and Share

Messy mattress house: Smell getting worse, still no cause in fire

Posted: Updated:
  • Related LinksMore>>

  • Home with mattresses in yard destroyed by fire

    Home with mattresses in yard destroyed by fire

    Monday, October 7 2013 9:50 AM EDT2013-10-07 13:50:57 GMT
    The trailer of an apparent hoarder who was piling smelly mattresses in the front and back yards of his Cainhoy property caught fire overnight.More >>
    The trailer of an apparent hoarder who was piling smelly mattresses in the front and back yards of his Cainhoy property caught fire overnight.More >>
  • Messy property owner: 'Just leave me alone'

    Messy property owner: 'Just leave me alone'

    Tuesday, September 17 2013 6:31 PM EDT2013-09-17 22:31:40 GMT
    The front yard of Edward Martin was filled Monday afternoon with used mattresses, old furniture and broken electronics. On Tuesday, there was a man rummaging through the back yard.More >>
    The front yard of Edward Martin was filled Monday afternoon with used mattresses, old furniture and broken electronics. Tuesday was much of the same except there was a truck filled with mattresses and a man rummaging through the back yard.More >>
  • Neighbor: 'You see flying roaches and bugs'

    Neighbor: 'You see flying roaches and bugs'

    Monday, September 16 2013 7:04 PM EDT2013-09-16 23:04:48 GMT
    It's typical for parents to gather on Hillridge Road in Cainhoy to meet their kids at the bus stop, but it's what their children are forced to look at and smell that has them in an uproar.
    More >>
    It's typical for parents to gather on Hillridge Road in Cainhoy to meet their kids at the bus stop, but it's what their children are forced to look at and smell that has them in an uproar.
    More >>

WANDO, S.C. (WCIV) --  More than two weeks ago, an overnight fire destroyed a trailer surrounded in old mattresses. Tuesday, the debris was still there, and neighbors said the smell was getting worse.

"My window is up when I go by there," said Mary Mizzell, a neighbor. "I don't even walk the road down there. Definitely won't, because of my health issues. My husband won't even let me go that way."

On Oct. 5, the trailer caught fire. Fire officials call the blaze very unusual.

Since then, the junk hasn't been removed. There are charred mattress springs and old appliances still sitting on the property.

Berkeley County officials say the land and the trailer are owned by two different people. And to make matters more confusing, it's the renter who was given more than a thousand-dollar fine by the Berkeley County Building and Codes Department.

Still the consensus among neighbors is the same.

"You need to treat your neighbors the right way," said Mizzell. "Clean it up. And think about the little ones."

Berkeley County officials say even though the house is inhabitable, the renter is still responsible for clean up and the fines.

Fire officials say their investigation is ongoing. For now, they are not considering arson. 


  • Valencia Wicker

    Email: vwicker@abcnews4.com Reporter Profile




Most Popular

Stories
Videos

Like Us On Facebook


Powered by WorldNow

ABCNews4 WCIV-TV

888 Allbritton Dr.
Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464
843-881-4444 | Advertising Information

Public Information File

For assistance with accessing WCIV-TV's public information file, click here.

Advertising

Advertising Credit Application and Terms and Conditions PDF.

Powered by WorldNow
All content Copyright © 2014 WCIV and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.