Information contained on this page is provided by an independent third-party content provider. WorldNow and this Station make no warranties or representations in connection therewith. If you have any questions or comments about this page please contact email@example.com.
SOURCE Novo Nordisk
Contest raises $35,000 in donations to local diabetes-related organizations
PLAINSBORO, N.J, Nov. 1, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Novo Nordisk, a world leader in diabetes care, announced today that Walton Kelly from Thomaston, Georgia, is the grand prize winner of the NovoLog® Community Star contest. The contest was held earlier this year to recognize patients with type 2 diabetes who use NovoLog® (insulin aspart [rDNA origin] injection) to help manage their blood sugar and give back to their local communities.
Walton was selected as the first NovoLog® Community Star winner based on the length of time he has generously given to his local community and the diversity of the programs with which he volunteers. Spanning more than 40 years, Walton has coached and refereed little league and local high school teams, working with children both with and without disabilities. He also assists neighbors with home projects, from everyday maintenance to remodeling.
"I am excited to be recognized as a Community Star. I watch what I eat, stay active and take my medication so I can help keep my diabetes under control and focus on the things that I love to do," said Kelly, 65, a U.S. Post Mail Carrier. "Volunteering and working in the community are a huge part of my life, and I'd hate for anything to stop me from staying involved."
Six finalists join Walton in receiving $5,000 to donate to one of three diabetes-related organizations of choice:
- Insulindependence – North America's largest non-profit public benefit organization focused on diabetes and exercise
- Produce for Better Health Foundation – a non-profit consumer education foundation committed to motivating people to eat more fruits and vegetables to improve public health
- American Diabetes Association – created to fight diabetes through education, research, fundraising and screening; local affiliate activities are aimed at care, control and the cure of diabetes
Finalists recognized for contributions to their local communities include:
- Peter A., Egg Harbor City, NJ
- Gerald D., Philadelphia, PA
- Dan B., Mitchell, SD
- Kenny B., Tunnel Hill, GA
- John D., Bristol, PA
- Jakala B., Columbus, MS
"We are so grateful for everyone who participated in the NovoLog® Community Star contest," said George McAvoy, vice president, NovoLog® brand team, at Novo Nordisk Inc. "It makes us proud to recognize Walton as our inaugural winner and are inspired by people like him who don't let their diabetes stop them from making life-changing contributions every day."
Walton, as the winner, will also be awarded with a one-year online subscription to Weight Watchers® to help with his diabetes management. Weight Watchers® is a registered trademark of Weight Watchers International, Inc.
Please see updated Important Safety Information below, including use with thiazolidinediones (TZDs).
Indications and Usage
What is NovoLog® (insulin aspart [rDNA origin] injection)?
- NovoLog® is a man-made insulin used to control high blood sugar in adults and children with diabetes mellitus.
Important Safety Information Who should not use NovoLog®?
- Do not use NovoLog® if your blood sugar is too low (hypoglycemia) or you are allergic to any of its ingredients.
What should I tell my health care provider before taking NovoLog®?
- About all of your medical conditions, including liver, kidney, or heart problems.
- If you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or plan to do either.
- About all prescription and nonprescription medicines you take, including supplements, as your dose may need to change.
How should I take NovoLog®
- Eat a meal within 5 to 10 minutes after using NovoLog® (insulin aspart [rDNA origin] injection), a fast-acting insulin, to avoid low blood sugar.
- Do not inject NovoLog® if you do not plan to eat right after your injection or bolus pump infusion.
- Do not mix NovoLog® with any other insulin when used in a pump or with any insulin other than NPH when used with injections by syringe.
- Do not change your dose or type of insulin unless you are told to by your health care provider.
- Do not share needles, insulin pens, or syringes.
- Check your blood sugar levels as directed by your health care provider.
What should I consider while using NovoLog®?
- Alcohol, including beer and wine, may affect your blood sugar.
- Be careful when driving a car or operating machinery. You may have difficulty concentrating or reacting if you have low blood sugar. Talk to your health care provider if you often have low blood sugar or no warning signs of low blood sugar.
What are the possible side effects of NovoLog®?
- Low blood sugar, including when too much is taken. Some symptoms include sweating, shakiness, confusion, and headache. Severe low blood sugar can cause unconsciousness, seizures, and death.
- Serious allergic reactions may occur. Get medical help right away, if you develop a rash over your whole body, have trouble breathing, a fast heartbeat, or sweating.
- Other side effects include injection site reactions (like redness, swelling, and itching), skin thickening or pits at the injection site, swelling of your hands and feet, if taken with thiazolidinediones (TZDs) possible heart failure, vision changes, low potassium in your blood, and weight gain.
Please visit novolog.com for Prescribing Information.
About Novo Nordisk
Headquartered in Denmark, Novo Nordisk is a global health care company with 90 years of innovation and leadership in diabetes care. The company also has leading positions within hemophilia care, growth hormone therapy and hormone replacement therapy. For more information, visit novonordisk-us.com or follow our news in the US on Twitter: @NovoNordiskUS.
In the United States, 25.8 million people have diabetes, a condition in which the body does not produce enough or properly use insulin, the hormone needed to convert sugar, starches and other food into energy needed for daily life.
NovoLog® is a registered trademark of Novo Nordisk A/S.
© 2013 Novo Nordisk All rights reserved. 0913-00018192-1 October 2013
©2012 PR Newswire. All Rights Reserved.