Fire investigators say West Ashley fire started in kitchen - WCIV-TV | ABC News 4 - Charleston News, Sports, Weather

Fire investigators say West Ashley fire started in kitchen

Posted: Updated:
Firefighters battle Ophir Drive house fire. (Source: SConFire.com) Firefighters battle Ophir Drive house fire. (Source: SConFire.com)

WEST ASHLEY, S.C. (WCIV) -- Fire investigators say a Saturday afternoon fire at a West Ashley home started in the kitchen.

According to officials, the fire started near the stove, but fire investigators are still looking into what sparked the fire. 

According to SConFire, an ABC News 4 partner, the fire started around 12:30 p.m. at a home on Ophir Drive. Fire officials said they had the fire under control about 10 minutes later.

The Red Cross is helping the man who lived in the home with money, food and clothing. The Red Cross says it has helped more than 2,700 victims of fires since July 1, 2013.

At one point, the home was 80 percent involved, but it did not take Charleston Fire Department crews long to get the fire under control. 

Charleston Fire Department officials say people should stay in the kitchen when they are frying, grilling, or broiling food. They also said to keep anything flammable away from the stove.

Most Popular

Stories
Videos

Like Us On Facebook


Powered by WorldNow

ABCNews4 WCIV-TV

888 Allbritton Dr.
Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464
843-881-4444 | Advertising Information

Public Information File

For assistance with accessing WCIV-TV's public information file, click here.

Advertising

Advertising Credit Application and Terms and Conditions PDF.

Powered by WorldNow
All content Copyright © 2014 WCIV and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.