School board responds to DJJ takeover proposal - WCIV-TV | ABC News 4 - Charleston News, Sports, Weather

School board responds to DJJ takeover proposal

Posted: Updated:

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) - The board of a residential public school for troubled teens opposes legislators' move to put the Department of Juvenile Justice temporarily in charge.

In a statement issued Thursday, the chairwoman of John de la Howe School in McCormick said the proposal sends the wrong message to students and families. Barbara Devinney pointed to a section in state law saying a nine-member board must be in control.

A spokesman says the board's existing five members approved the statement, three by phone.

It came two days after the House approved a one-year takeover as part of its budget plan.

Last month, the school's principal, president, chairwoman and vice-chairwoman resigned.

Their departure followed an inspector general's report that found the school spends excessively but doesn't assess whether it's successfully turning students' lives around.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Most Popular

Stories
Videos

Like Us On Facebook


Powered by WorldNow

ABCNews4 WCIV-TV

888 Allbritton Dr.
Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464
843-881-4444 | Advertising Information

Public Information File

For assistance with accessing WCIV-TV's public information file, click here.

Advertising

Advertising Credit Application and Terms and Conditions PDF.

Powered by WorldNow
All content Copyright © 2014 WCIV and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.