SC Education agency pulls out of testing program - WCIV-TV | ABC News 4 - Charleston News, Sports, Weather

SC Education agency pulls out of testing program

Posted: Updated:

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) - South Carolina Education Superintendent Mick Zais has withdrawn the state from testing for new standards next year.

Zais wrote the chairman of the South Carolina Board of Education on Monday saying Zais has learned he has the authority to withdraw South Carolina from a consortium that would test Common Core standards.

Zais says he decided to pull out of the Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium so South Carolina can consider alternatives to the tests.

The Common Core standards and the tests to measure their effectiveness have been criticized as an attempt to nationalize education.

South Carolina Education Association President Jackie Hicks says it's a mistake to abandon the process that had already been approved.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Most Popular

Stories
Videos

Like Us On Facebook


Powered by WorldNow

ABCNews4 WCIV-TV

888 Allbritton Dr.
Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464
843-881-4444 | Advertising Information

Public Information File

For assistance with accessing WCIV-TV's public information file, click here.

Advertising

Advertising Credit Application and Terms and Conditions PDF.

Powered by WorldNow
All content Copyright © 2014 WCIV and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.