Electrical fire damages downtown Charleston home, displaces fami - WCIV-TV | ABC News 4 - Charleston News, Sports, Weather

Electrical fire damages downtown Charleston home, displaces family

Posted: Updated:

CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCIV) – A home in downtown Charleston was damaged by an electrical fire that started on the first floor early Saturday morning.

According to Charleston fire officials, crews first arrived at the South Street home minutes after midnight to find one bedroom on fire and smoke spreading through other parts of the home.

Fire officials said the home was occupied by an elderly woman and three other members of her family. The woman was watching television when the fire started, but the woman’s daughter helped her escape the home as the fire spread from the TV to a nearby bed.

Officials said the fire was contained by 12:15 a.m.

The bedroom has heavy fire damage and the rest of the first floor has smoke and heat damage, officials said. There is also some smoke damage on the second floor of the home.

During the investigation, crews found that the fire started near the television cabinet. They also found that two smoke alarms were disabled on the second floor.

The Red Cross stepped in the help the family.

Most Popular

Stories
Videos

Like Us On Facebook


Powered by WorldNow

ABCNews4 WCIV-TV

888 Allbritton Dr.
Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464
843-881-4444 | Advertising Information

Public Information File

For assistance with accessing WCIV-TV's public information file, click here.

Advertising

Advertising Credit Application and Terms and Conditions PDF.

Powered by WorldNow
All content Copyright © 2014 WCIV and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.