Firefighters put out fire at downtown Charleston bakery - WCIV-TV | ABC News 4 - Charleston News, Sports, Weather

Firefighters put out fire at downtown Charleston bakery

Posted: Updated:

CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCIV) -- Firefighters were called to Jestine's Sweet Shop Sunday evening after a fire was found in the building.

According to Charleston fire officials, crews were called to the Wentworth Street shop around 7:15 p.m. and found smoke venting from the first floor. When they entered the building, the found the fire in the back room of Jestine's Sweet Shop.

The apartments above the shop were evacuated as a safety precaution while firefighters put out the fire, officials said.

Wentworth Street between King and Meeting streets was closed for a few hours Sunday night.

In an update Monday afternoon, officials with the fire department said employees tried to put out the fire with an extinguisher, but could not. So an employee ran to the nearby fire station for help. Crews said the fire started in a dryer.

Officials said there were no injuries and they do not suspect foul play.

Most Popular

Stories
Videos

Like Us On Facebook


Powered by WorldNow

ABCNews4 WCIV-TV

888 Allbritton Dr.
Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464
843-881-4444 | Advertising Information

Public Information File

For assistance with accessing WCIV-TV's public information file, click here.

Advertising

Advertising Credit Application and Terms and Conditions PDF.

Powered by WorldNow
All content Copyright © 2014 WCIV and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.