Woman injured in kitchen fire in West Ashley - WCIV-TV | ABC News 4 - Charleston News, Sports, Weather

Woman injured in kitchen fire in West Ashley

Posted: Updated:

WEST ASHLEY, S.C. (WCIV) -- A woman cooking at a West Ashley apartment was burned when the oil she was using caught fire and she tried to put it out with water.

According to Charleston Fire Department officials, crews from four agencies responded to a Carriage Lane apartment after a woman moved burning oil from her stovetop to the kitchen sink.

When the woman turned on the faucet to put out the fire, the oils splashed her, burning her hands. She was taken by EMS to a nearby hospital, officials said.

The kitchen had some smoke damage, but only the pot was damaged by fire.

Fire officials offered several tips for cooking safely, including to never leave food or cooking oils unattended, to refrain from using a stove if you're sleepy, and to never use water on a grease fire.

Instead, putting a lid on the pot or using a fire extinguisher would take care of the fire, officials said.

Most Popular

Stories
Videos

Like Us On Facebook


Powered by WorldNow

ABCNews4 WCIV-TV

888 Allbritton Dr.
Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464
843-881-4444 | Advertising Information

Public Information File

For assistance with accessing WCIV-TV's public information file, click here.

Advertising

Advertising Credit Application and Terms and Conditions PDF.

Powered by WorldNow
All content Copyright © 2014 WCIV and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.